This page includes a selection (i.e. likely not updated and definitely not comprehensive) of my writings and public presentations. For more information, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
(Select) Recent Presentations [Please note that these presentations are more pictures than text. If you want any supporting material for them, please email me. Please also note that many, if not all, of these presentations involve animation so they are best viewed as a slide show.]
On Palestine – and the Israeli assault on Gaza
* On August 13, I gave a talk in Chapel Hill, North Carolina hosted by Balance and Accuracy in Journalism about the Israeli bombardment of Gaza, the racism against both Palestinians and African-Americans – with a highlight on Ferguson, and the critical need to connect the struggles, using BDS as one tool. The talk is available here: http://goo.gl/bz1J1r (45 minute talk)
* Talk at Coalition for Peace with Justice. “Crisis in Gaza and the West Bank: Context and Action.” August 6, 2014. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHAmAULY23U&list=FLwxXvHbY9WnlCGnzbKBKVIA&index=14 The talk has received more than 32,000 direct hits on YouTube as of September 3, 2014 . (30 minute talk)
That talk is also available in Portuguese here: http://desacato.info/destaques/rania-masri-boicote-a-israel-pode-impedir-os-crimes-do-sionismo/ and in Spanish here: http://losotrosjudios.com/2014/08/22/rania-masri-el-boicot-a-israel-puede-impedir-los-crimenes-sionistas/
* “What is Barbaric, Mr. Obama?” – Protest talk given in Austin, Texas on August 2, 2014. This talk has received more than 55,000 direct hits on YouTube as of September 3, and has been subtitled in Portuguese, German, Spanish, Italian, French, Farsi, and Japanese. The english transcript is also available here. The talk is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4H5PFGr03Q&list=FLwxXvHbY9WnlCGnzbKBKVIA&index=1 (9 minute talk)
* On August 2, I spoke at an event sponsored by the Interfaith Community for Palestinian Rights in Austin, Texas. I spoke about the impacts of the Israeli assault on Gaza, its relationship to the rest of Palestine, relationship with Egypt, and the ways that concerned individuals – in Texas, nationwide, and around the world – can work to end the Israeli occupation of Palestine, with special attention to the Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS) movement, and can connect the struggles. The audio of that talk is available here: https://archive.org/details/PeopleUnited20140808 and the (incomplete) video is available here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkarL_F2t_g This is the most comprehensive talk I have given on the subject.
On Syria (and the US push for a war on Syria)
* Talk at Balance and Accuracy in Journalism Meeting: “Uncovering the Syrian Conflict”. July 27, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8OcTpIDzZU (and Q&A session from BAJ talk: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wB0UaLwJLkE
* DC Teach-in: Why we must stop US Military Action in Syria (with Bassam Haddad) (1) September 5, 2013 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wi-zS_lyNM (and part 2 -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5cQ_kztExQ and part 3 – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8WrgPy-2E)
Interviews on Syria:
* Is the Obama Administration Giving Us the Truth About Syria? September 5, 2013 http://leftvoices.net/wordpress/is-the-obama-administration-giving-us-the-truth-about-syria/
* Debate on Democracy Now: As Assad Regime Accepts Russian Plan on Chemical Weapons, A Debate on Syria’s Path Forward http://www.democracynow.org/2013/9/10/as_assad_regime_accepts_russian_plan – September 10, 2013
* Rania Masri and Chris Hedges On Obama’s Syria Address – September 11, 2013 – http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10703
* PT 2: Chris Hedges and Rania Masri On What the Future May Hold For Syria September 11, 2013- http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10705
* Extended interview on Reality Asserts Itself – http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10745 (3 parts) – September 17, 2013
* UN Syria Report Confirms Chemical Weapons Used, Culprit Still Not Known – September 17, 2013 http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10729
- “Rio + 20: What has been achieved?” – June 27, 2012 rio+20 [given to the UNDP-Regional Center in Cairo office] — please refer to the notes in the powerpoint presentation for the accompanying text
- “Water scarcity in the Arab world: how to get from ‘crisis’ to ‘sustainable’? – May 8, 2012 water security final [given to the League of Arab States] — please contact me for the accompanying text
* The case for boycott, divestment, and sanctions (BDS). Presentation given at North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC. September 13, 2010. bds-talk-at-ncsu-sept-2010 [If you want a copy of the notes of the talk, please email me]
* Resistance Strategies and boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions (BDS). Presentation given at the Israeli Apartheid Week, AUB, March 5, 2010. bds-talk at aub march 2010
* From South Africa to Palestine/Israel: Using Boycott to End Apartheid. August 19, 2009. Chapel Hill. Powerpoint presentation – bds talk
Select Chapter Publications
* Assault on Iraq’s Environment: Radioactive Waste and Disease – The effects of depleted uranium weaponry and blockade. Iraq: Its History, People and Politics. Ed. by Shams Inati. Prometheus Books. 2003.
* The Al-Aqsa Intifada: A natural consequence of the military occupation, the Oslo accords, and the ‘peace process.’ The Struggle for Palestine. Ed. by Lance Selfa. Haymarket Books. 2002.
* Abunimah, Ali and Rania Masri. The Media’s Deadly Spin on Iraq. Iraq Under Siege: The Deadly Impact of Sanctions and War. Ed. by Anthony Arnove. South End Press. Co-Published by Pluto Press in London. 2000. Second Edition – 2002.
* Environmental Challenges in Lebanon. Challenging Environmental Issues – Middle Eastern Perspectives. Ed. by Joseph Jabbra and Nancy Jabbra. Journal of Developing Societies, Volume XIII – fasc. 1. June 1997. Brill Academic Publishers. The Netherlands. 1997.
Select Journal Articles
* Teaching Amid Despair: Global Warming and Israeli Wars on Lebanon. Environmental Communication: A Journal of Nature and Culture. Volume 1. Number 2. November 2007. Routledge.
* Iraqi Food Security? Al-Adab Magazine. November-December 2005. Beirut, Lebanon.
* Open Forum. (Response to Richard Garfield and Kwesi Dugbatey’s article on the role of NGOs in Iraq). Humanitarian Affairs Review. Autumn 2000. Belgium.
* “Development” — At What Price? A review of the environmental management of Lebanese authorities (1992-1998). Arab Studies Quarterly. Volume 21. No. 1. 1999.
Writings available on-line
- Environmental writings -
The following articles are available in arabic at: http://adabmag.com/node/24
*“What’s in a number? A critique of the World Bank’s economic assessment of the environmental destruction of the July 2006 war. March 2008. (English Text: shorter-what-is-in-a-number)
* The big fish eats all the fish. December 2007 (English Text:big-fish-eating-all-fish)
* Drought, Thirst, and Hunger. September 2007. (English Text: droughtthirsthunger)
* What kind of sovereignty do we want? July – August 2007. (English Text:food1)
* Global Warming and Israeli Wars on Lebanon: Teaching Hope. May – June 2007. (English Text: global-warming-and-teaching-hope2)
- Political writings
- an article I wrote about the February 2009 referendum elections in Venezuela – as published in Al-Akhbar in March 2009 (also see this post in reference to that article)
- Living with the certainty of war (Rania Masri writing from Beirut, Lebanon, Live from Lebanon, 18 February 2008 )
- “War, Racism, and Reverse Robin Hood.” Speech given at Shaw University in September 2007
- “Lebanese Army Fires Live Ammunition At Peaceful Protest in Solidarity with Nahr el Bared Refugee Camp.” Scoop. June 30, 2007.
- Who am I in the United States Speech given in Beirut Lebanon. June 2007
- “They may accept us for a day or two but for how long?” Rania Masri and Jackson Allers writing from Bedaoui Refugee Camp, Live from Lebanon, 25 May 2007
- “The situation is very bad” Jackson Allers and Rania Masri writing from Lebanon, Live from Lebanon, 23 May 2007
- The need to intersectionalize the anti-war and anti-economic globalization movement. Iraq: economic globalization in the extreme Speech presented at the American Political Science Association. 2004
- You Call This Liberation? Why No Democracy in Iraq? (Feb. 23, 2004)
- “Freeing” Iraq’s Economy – For Its Occupiers (Feb. 2, 2004)
- I’m gonna stay on the battlefield Speech given in Washington, DC in November 2003.
- End Both Occupations (October 9, 2003)
- Re-Constructing or De-Constructing Iraq? (July 24, 2003)
- Fog of War (April 5, 2003)
- On the 35th anniversary of the killing of Martin Luther King, Jr. Speech given on April 4, 2003 at the Raleigh North Carolina Vigil and Call to Action
- Speaking for Peace (September 17, 2001)
- Combating racism: Only together–with our arms locked (July/August 2001)